Valley Medical Center (VMC) received First Place honors inthe non-profit category of SeattleBusiness magazine’s Best Companies to WorkFor 2011.This marks the 10th consecutive year that VMChas been named a Best Company to Work Forin the Pacific Northwest, and the 2nd time to beselected as the #1 non-profit in the state.
“We are humbled and thrilled to once again be named one of the top 100 Best Companies to WorkFor, and extremely gratified to be named the #1 Best Company to Work For in the state in the non-profit category,” said Rich Roodman, Valley Medical Center CEO. “As we move forward into apartnership with UW Medicine, we will continue to strive to provide an excellent workplace for ourexceptional staff to thrive as they care for our patients.”
According to Seattle Business, “This is the year that separates true best companies frompretenders. An economic contraction the country hasn’t seen since the Great Depression has putpressure on all aspects of a business. Layoffs, pay freezes and cuts, benefits pruning—all havebeen the norm during these turbulent times. Many employees are simply thankful to have a job, andare less concerned with health club memberships and other perks. …These are the companies thathave survived turbulent times and managed to keep their employees happy.”
To help determine the 100 Best Companies to Work For, Seattle’s Gilmore Research Group compiled data submitted anonymously by employees of the nominated companies. Characteristics of a Best Company to Work For include:
- Open communication; sharing both good and bad news with employees
- Promoting employee development
- Fostering an environment of accountability
- Challenging but attainable performance standards
- Offering competitive and equitable salaries, and comprehensive benefits
- Inspiring, encouraging and respecting employees
- Promoting creativity and brainstorming
- Offering opportunities for advancement
- Empowering employees to act and think independently
The 100 companies named to Seattle Business magazine’s Best Companies to Work For 2011 were honored June 16th at a special celebration at the Westin Hotel Seattle.
To other news stories...