RENTON, WA - A report released today by HealthGrades, the nation’s most trusted, independent source of physician information and hospital quality outcomes, named Valley Medical Center among the top 2% of hospitals nationwide for Overall Orthopedic Services, Joint Replacement, and Spine Surgery. According to the report, patients in the Seattle Area are increasingly seeking such quality information online, with 1,397,880 visiting HealthGrades.com between January-June of this year. And for good reason: Choosing a hospital can be a life or death decision. HealthGrades’ report found that patients treated at 5-star rated hospitals experience a 73% lower risk of mortality and a 63% lower risk of complications.
“We believe in empowering consumers to make the most informed healthcare decisions possible,” says Rich Roodman, CEO, Valley Medical Center. “With the changes occurring in healthcare today, it’s more important than ever before for patients to have access to as much information as possible. That’s why we are proponents of HealthGrades rankings. They provide truly independent objective data for the public to evaluate their care options.”
“Patients today have a wide array options when it comes to choosing a health care provider,” said Kerry Hicks, HealthGrades chief executive officer. “At HealthGrades, we are proud to have led the way for empowering patient choice based on objective clinical outcomes and access to actionable quality measures. We commend Valley Medical Center for its superior quality and support of consumerism and transparency in the Seattle area.”
In addition to the #1 in state ranking for Overall Orthopedic Services, Valley was also recognized with:
- The HealthGrades Orthopedic Surgery Excellence AwardTM (2nd year in a row)
- The HealthGrades Joint Replacement Excellence AwardTM (3rd year in a row)
- Ranked Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Overall Orthopedic Services
- Ranked Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Joint Replacement (3rd year in a row)
- Ranked Among the Top 5 in WA for Overall Orthopedic Services (10th year in a row)
- Named One of HealthGrades America’s 100 Best HospitalsTM for Overall Orthopedic Services
Key findings of the HealthGrades 2011 Healthcare Consumerism and Hospital Quality in America report include:
- Patients were, on average, 63% less likely to experience inhospital complications than patients at 1-star programs, and had a 43% lower chance of developing an inhospital complication than the national average.
- If all Medicare patients from 2008 through 2010 had gone to 5-star hospitals for their procedure, 164,472 inhospital complications could have potentially been avoided.
- In an online survey, 42% of HealthGrades visitors said that they believe their chances of experiencing an unexpected death or complication is higher in some hospitals in their community compared to others.
HealthGrades is America's most trusted, independent source of physician information and hospital quality outcomes. HealthGrades online properties are the nation's leading destination for physician search and empower more than 170 million consumers annually to make informed health care decisions.
Back to press releases...