- As your due date draws near, make sure you've written down your preferences for labor and delivery, such as managing pain, preferred labor positions, and any cultural, religious or family traditions.
- Take care of paperwork now so your hospital admission goes smoothly on the eventful day!
- Pack a weekend bag for your stay at the hospital.
- Choose someone as your birth coach who can be a calming influence. He or she can prepare for your hospital stay by participating in birthing classes, touring Valley's Birth Center, and knowing what paperwork is expected at check-in.
- If you have other children, arrange for a support person to be with each one during childbirth.
- Swimming and other moderate exercise can help reduce discomfort in later pregnancy.
- Preregistration can be completed online or at VMC Admitting from 6:30 am to 8:30 pm, 7 days a week. That way, Admitting can take you directly to The Birth Center when you arrive in labor.
- Our packing checklist shows what's needed for you, baby and your birth coach.
- You and your birth coach are invited to tour VMC's mom and baby rooms. See where you'll give birth and start caring for your new baby. For a tour, call 206.575.BABY.
- Valley Medical Center offers a Siblings to Come Class, which we strongly recommend for children who plan to attend the birth.
- The Fitness Center's pre-natal water exercise class can help with the discomforts of late pregnancy. Call 425.656.4006.