Good Sleep Habits
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine recommends these guidelines, which can be used for all types of sleep disorders:
- Get up about the same time every day.
- Go to bed only when sleepy. Establish relaxing presleep rituals, such as a warm bath, light bedtime snack, or 10 minutes of reading.
- Exercise regularly. Confine vigorous exercise to early hours of the day. Mild exercise should occur at least 4 hours before bedtime.
- Keep a regular schedule. Normal times for meals, medications, and activities help keep our inner clocks running smoothly.
- Avoid caffeine within 6 hours of bedtime.
- Do not drink alcohol, especially when sleepy.