Volunteers Who Make Your Day
VMC's Volunteers In Action (VIA) group works hand-in-hand with our Spiritual Care Team. Many VIA members go on with training to serve as Spiritual Care Volunteers.
Volunteer Staff – Types of Designation
- Clergy: Ordained or recognized by a religious/spiritualist tradition
- Chaplain: Ordained or lay-designated by accrediting associations
- Staff: Layperson accredited to a group
- CPE: Students in Clinical Pastoral Education
- Volunteer Staff / Spiritual Care Services
- On-call volunteers support patient or families in emergencies (at designated time-periods) when Spiritual Care Services staff members are off duty
- On-assignment volunteers do Spiritual Care Rounds with the support of Spiritual Care Services
Requirements / Credentials – General
- Volunteers may be ordained, lay with certification or an active CPE Student in good standing with their academic supervisor
- Valley Medical Center has an administrative "No-Solicitation Policy" that applies to all staff, volunteers and visitors. Proselytizing is considered solicitation
- We in Spiritual Care Services believe in open hearted welcome. We recognize patients' resources, and support and visit them without preconditions, and as medical conditions allow. All faiths, traditions and spiritual understandings are welcome: whether religious, humanist or secular. Our volunteer clergy, our nurses and medical staff who are trained in Spiritual Clinical Skills are all part of the Spiritual healthcare team
- In most cases, Spiritual Care Services will not arrange a pastoral visit for a patient when that visit is without the patient’s knowledge or consent
- Your inquiry means you care about people. Companionship/ministry in a hospital is a place where simple compassion and good listening is essential. However you configure your faith, spirituality or philosophy, we want your time with us to be rewarding. That's what it's all about
- The contributions of the time and talent of our Spiritual Care Volunteers is invaluable: we could not operate without them. We cannot guarantee your satisfaction. We can only promise to support you and give guidance and order where necessary
If you are interested in pursuing a spiritual services volunteer position with us at VMC or for more information about volunteering for another position at Valley Medical Center, call the Volunteer Services Department at 425.656.4031 ext. #3 or email email@example.com.
Learn more about Volunteers In Action (VIA).
Coordinator for Spiritual Care Services
Valley Medical Center, M/S NWP 026
400 S. 43rd Street
Renton, WA 98055