Knowledge & Compassion
Valley Medical Center is our partner in fighting cancer. Here you will find an emphasis in prevention, medical advances in early detection of cancer, more accurate cancer diagnoses, improved outcomes, reduced side effects and less invasive treatment options. Building relationships is a priority for us. With the latest advances available in your own backyard, obtaining cancer care doesn’t have to involve traveling long distances. And that means you and your loved ones can enjoy more time together.
Our cancer care combines the latest technology and treatment protocols with the warmth of understanding. A multidisciplinary team of board certified specialists, including surgical, medical and radiation oncologists, pathologists, radiologists and other specialists, as well as certified oncology nurses, social workers, physical therapists and nutritionists, are here to ensure individualized treatment plans and support for each stage of your cancer journey. Representatives of this team gather weekly at a Tumor Board meeting to review and discuss patient cases. Should you need more advanced care for a rare or complex diagnosis, you can be assured of quick and effortless access to renowned care at one of our UW Medicine affiliates.
Designed to enhance the comfort of our patients and assure their dignity, our healing environment incorporates restorative natural elements like sunlight and water. Valley Medical Center is also proud to offer a Healing Garden and Serenity Garden, as well as an Inpatient Family Retreat, to provide peace and respite for patients and loved ones.
View Cancer Services brochure.
Valley Medical Center is proudly accredited With Commendation by the Commission on Cancer as a Community Hospital Comprehensive Cancer Program. Learn more.
Wellness Testing & Screening
Early detection is key to improving survival for patients diagnosed with cancer. The earlier cancer is found, the easier it is to treat and cure. We are proud to offer many options that help detect cancer and save lives:
Patient & Support Services
- Biopsy & needle localization
- Diagnostic imaging (MRI, CT, PET Scan, Nuclear Medicine)
- Digital mammography
- Endoscopy & colonoscopy
- General diagnostic radiology
- Gynecologic oncology
- Laboratory testing
- Pelvic exam and pap test
- Surgical assessment & staging
Valley Medical Center offers patients and their families vital support, guidance and information:
- Cancer Lifeline provides patients, survivors, family members and caregivers free support groups, exercise programs such as Gentle Yoga and the Lebed Method, and classes in artistic expression, stress management, nutrition and more; Cancer Lifeline also provides a free 24-hour, seven day a week Lifeline at 800.255.5505 to help those touched by cancer with resources and emotional support
- The Cancer Resource Center, managed by the American Cancer Society, provides important programs and services free of charge, such as: Wig, Hat and Turban Bank; Look Good, Feel Better; Reach to Recovery; Road to Recovery; literature; and a free 24-hour, seven day a week Resource Hotline at 800.227.2345, option 1
- Using CaringBridge.org patients can connect with friends and family through guestbook messages and a photo gallery
- An Oncology Social Worker and Financial Counselors assist with providing valuable support and answering important questions
- Valley Medical Center houses a Lymphedema Clinic, as well as a fully-equipped Fitness Center
Learn more about these and many other resources available to you.
What is Cancer?
Cancer is a group of diseases characterized by uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. Cancer develops by influence from both external (chemicals, radiation, and viruses) and internal (hormones, immune conditions, and inherited mutations) factors. These factors may act together to initiate or promote the abnormal growth of cells. Cancer is treated with a variety of options, such as surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, hormones and immunotherapy.
Physicians specializing in medical oncology, radiation oncology, neuro oncology and surgical oncology as well as specially trained nurses and technicians work with cancer patients through all phases of treatment. A multidisciplinary Cancer Conference consisting of primary care physicians, radiologists, pathologists, oncologists, and other supportive specialists reviews every cancer case at the hospital and provides recommendations on patient care and treatments.
Within the Infusion and Immunotherapy Center, medical oncology and hematology specialists and staff provide:
- Hormone therapy
- Access to investigational protocols
Learn more about Medical Oncology.
VMC’s DaVinci® Surgical System provides a less invasive cancer surgery alternative with faster recovery times and fewer side effects.
A team including radiation oncologists, oncology nurses, radiation therapists, dosimetrists, a medical physicist, a dietician and an oncology social worker, provides the care needed to treat a variety of cancers, from skin lesions to deep tumors, and offers state-of-the-art options such as:
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy
- Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy
- BrainLAB Stereotactic Radiosurgery System
- PET-CT Image Fusion for detection of abnormal cells
- Customized treatment plans using 3-D Monaco Arc and BrainLAB Stereotactic Planning Systems
Learn more about Radiation Oncology
Physicians at Valley Medical Center's Neuroscience Institute treat patients with benign or cancerous tumors of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. Benign nervous system tumors, while not cancerous, may require ongoing treatment. Learn more about Neuro Oncology.
For more information about any of the services and programs listed, please contact 425.228.3440 x5949. We can also refer you to additional community resources.
Important Contact Numbers:
American Cancer Society:
Cancer Resource Center:
Free Physician Referral:
Imaging Central Scheduling:
Oncology & Hematology Clinic:
Lymphedema Management Program:
Social Work Services:
800.ACS.2345 or cancer.org
800.255.5505 or cancerlifeline.org