An Individualized, Supervised Program for You
Providers at Pulmonary Rehab treat patients with lung problems such as:
GET STARTED TODAY!
to schedule an initial consult
and start your 12-week program.
We're open Tuesdays and Thursdays
from 8 AM - 5 PM.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic Bronchitis
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- Lung cancer and lung cancer surgery
- Lung volume reduction surgery before and after lung transplant
Pulmonary Rehabilitation includes exercise classes and education about your lung disease or condition. PR may help you participate in activities with less shortness of breath, as well as teach you how to live better by managing your lung condition.
What are the benefits of Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
Pulmonary rehabilitation helps you improve the quality of your life. Although PR can't cure your lung disease, it can make breathing easier and allow you to experience fewer problems.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation is one of the most cost-effective treatment interventions available for patients with chronic respiratory disease.
Other benefits include:
- A decrease in the symptoms of your disease or condition
- An improvement in your ability to function better in daily life
- An increase in your ability to exercise
- Reduce symptoms of dyspnea and leg pain
- A decrease in your symptoms of anxiety and depression and
improvement in your ability to manage them
- The ability to make the most of the lung function you have.
- An increase in your overall stamina and energy
- Reduced hospitalization / unscheduled healthcare visits
What does the program include?
Monitored and supervised exercise
A primary focus of pulmonary rehab is to improve your cardiorespiratory function through exercise. This is achieved by strategic implementation of cardiovascular, strength, flexibility, and breathing training protocols. This physician-led program allows patients to exercise in a safe environment under the watchful eyes of respiratory and exercise therapists. Your program will be individualized to meet you at any level.
Valley's education classes focus on COPD, as well as other chronic lung diseases, providing information on:
- Medications, their actions, aside effects, using an inhaler and self-care techniques.
- Understanding and using oxygen therapy
- Retraining breathing
- Importance of exercise
- Strategies for managing breathing problems
- Symptom assessment and knowledge about when to seek medical treatment
- Reducing and controlling breathing difficulties and other symptoms
- Learning more about your disease, treatment options and chronic disease coping strategies
- Learning to manage your disease and reducing your dependence on costly medical resources
- Maintaining healthy behaviors such as smoking cessation, good nutrition and weight management
People who have chronic lung diseases are more prone to depression, anxiety and other emotional problems. By participating in Valley Medical Center's Pulmonary Rehabilitation program, you will have the support and resources to help you along your healthy lifestyle journey.
A big part of learning how to best improve your symptoms is learning about your bodies specific nutritional needs. Consult with one of our registered dieticians to identify a healthy nutrition plan.
If you have been dealing with chronic aches and pains, meet with a physical therapist to help identify what will be the best approach to reaching your fitness goals.
Click here to download a pdf of the information to take to your physician.