What is Cancer?
Cancer is a group of diseases characterized by uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. Cancer develops by influence from both external (chemicals, radiation, and viruses) and internal (hormones, immune conditions, and inherited mutations) factors. These factors may act together to initiate or promote the abnormal growth of cells. Cancer is treated with a variety of options, such as surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, hormones and immunotherapy.
Cancer treatment at Valley Medical Center is a collaborative process where patients work hand-in-hand with their care team to develop individualized treatment plans. We place an emphasis on prevention, early detection of cancer, more accurate cancer diagnoses, improved outcomes, reduced side effects and less invasive treatment options.
Physicians specializing in medical oncology, radiation oncology, neuro oncology and surgical oncology as well as specially trained nurses and technicians, social workers, physical therapists and nutritionists provide support through each stage of your cancer journey. Your multidisciplinary team of board certified specialists gather regularly to review your case. Should you need more advanced care for a rare or complex diagnosis, you can be assured of quick and effortless access to renowned care at one of our UW Medicine affiliates..
Focus on Healing
Designed to enhance the comfort of our patients and assure their dignity, our healing environment incorporates restorative natural elements like sunlight and water. Valley Medical Center is also proud to offer a Healing Garden and Serenity Garden, as well as an Inpatient Family Retreat, to provide peace and respite for patients and loved ones. We also sponsor Cancer Lifeline classes and support groups here on campus, to help you and your loved ones build strength and understanding, reduce stress and find comfort with others who understand your journey.
Valley Medical Center is accredited With Commendation by the Commission on Cancer as a Community Hospital Comprehensive Cancer Program. Learn more.
Wellness Testing, Screening & Outreach
Early detection is key to improving survival for patients diagnosed with cancer. The earlier cancer is found, the easier it is to treat and cure. Valley Medical Center offers the latest technology that help detect cancer and save lives:
- Biopsy & needle localization
- Diagnostic imaging (MRI, CT, PET Scan, Nuclear Medicine)
- Digital mammography
- Endoscopy & colonoscopy
- General diagnostic radiology
- Gynecologic oncology
- Laboratory testing
- Pelvic exam and pap test
- Surgical assessment & staging
Within the Infusion and Immunotherapy Center, medical oncology and hematology specialists and staff provide:
- Hormone therapy
- Access to investigational protocols
Learn more about Medical Oncology.
VMC’s DaVinci® Surgical System provides a less invasive cancer surgery alternative with faster recovery times and fewer side effects.
Our team of radiation oncologists and therapy staff take a holistic approach and are dedicated to providing support and comfort throughout the course of radiation therapy. We offer advanced technologies for the following modalities:
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT)
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS)
- Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT)
- Image Fusion of CT-PET-MRI for cell localization and soft tissue identification
- Customized treatment plans utilizing Monte Carlo algorithms
- High Dose Rate Brachytherapy for Breast and Gynecological cancers (SAVI, Tandem & Ring, Cylinder)
- Low Dose Rate Brachytherapy Prostate Seed Implants (Pd-103 and I-125)
Learn more about Radiation Oncology.
Physicians at Valley Medical Center's Neuroscience Institute treat patients with benign or cancerous tumors of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. Benign nervous system tumors, while not cancerous, may require ongoing treatment. Learn more about Neuro Oncology.
Patient & Support Services
Cancer Program Quality Outcomes
View The Cancer Program Practice Profile Reports (CP3R) for 2016.
Breast Center - Quality Data Report
Each year, Breast Centers are required to perform an audit of their performance as it relates to their screening mammography program. This is a requirement of the Mammography Quality Standards Act (MQSA). Please click here to see Valley's 2015 MQSA Audit.
Patient & Support Services as part of our dedicated community outreach activities, VMC is committed to promoting awareness of and prevention for various types of cancer:
- Colon Cancer Awareness Day: Community members walked through the "Strollin' Colon," a gigantic inflatable colon depicting both healthy and concerning situations physicians find during colonoscopy.
- Pink the Rink for Breast Cancer Awareness raises funds and promotes vitally important breast health, self-exam and screening.
- Skin Cancer Awareness & Screening provided free community education and screening to help detect, inform and prevent. View skin cancer outreach report.
Valley Medical Center offers patients and their families vital support, guidance and information:
- Cancer Lifeline provides patients, survivors, family members and caregivers free support groups, exercise programs such as Gentle Yoga and the Lebed Method, and classes in artistic expression, stress management, nutrition and more; Cancer Lifeline also provides a free 24-hour, seven day a week Lifeline at 800.255.5505 to help those touched by cancer with resources and emotional support
- The Cancer Resource Center provides important programs and services free of charge, such as: Wig, Hat and Turban Bank; Look Good, Feel Better; Reach to Recovery; Road to Recovery; literature; and a free 24-hour, seven day a week Resource Hotline at 800.227.2345, option 1
- Using CaringBridge.org patients can connect with friends and family through guestbook messages and a photo gallery
- An Oncology Social Worker and Financial Counselors assist with providing valuable support and answering important questions
- Valley Medical Center houses a Lymphedema Clinic, as well as a fully-equipped Fitness Center
Learn more about these and many other resources available to you.